28 June 2011

Beautiful Dreams

Last week on Twitter someone posted a link to an article about 66 Beautiful Towns and Small Cities in Europe (don't ask why 66--I have no idea). Anyone who knows me knows I have a slight obsession with Europe. The history, the art, the ancient buildings, the culture all draw me in. On my more fanciful days I talk about moving there (the country always changes but currently the Benelux region is the front runner). I don't know that I ever really could move to Europe full time but it's fun to think about.

I thought I'd share a few of my favourites from the list. These are just the places I find particularly lovely and could see myself living in. Who knows--maybe someday I will.

I swear, nobody does cozy villages like the Brits:

Ambleside, England

Painswick, England

Salisbury, England

Winchester, England

York, England

Although the French come pretty close...

Bayeux, France

Collioure, France

Colmar, France

Eze, France

I'd love to live by the water:

Bern, Switzerland

Bled, Slovenia

Cinque Terre, Italy

Gamla Stan (Stockholm Old Town), Sweden

Heidelberg, Germany

Mykonos, Greece

Portofino, Italy

Trogir, Croatia

I'm also a fan of mountains:

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Salzberg, Austria

Part of why the Benelux countries appeal to me:

Bruges, Belgium

Delft, Netherlands

Dinant, Belgium

Haarlem, Netherlands

Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Or maybe I should reconsider Eastern Europe:

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Eger, Hungary

Kalovy Vary, Czech Republic

Krakow Old Town, Poland

Sighisoara, Romania

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

I love this kind of architecture and it just doesn't exist in Canada:

Fribourg, Switzerland

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

Toledo, Spain

Zwickau, Germany

I'm sure there are plenty more that never even made it to the list (I could be biased but I think Sparta, Greece is highly underrated). So many options...that's the real reason I may never be able to settle in just one.

You can see the rest of the towns and read the article that inspired this post here.

No comments: