02 November 2010

Hot Muffins: October Edition (Pumpkin Muffins Recipe)

I have to start by apologizing for the lateness of October's Mormon Muffin post but, unfortunately, there's been a death in the family. I took full advantage of baking therapy as I made these, however, with my aunt in my heart and mind. 

October's muffin is Pioneer Pumpkin and features my favourite photo of the calendar: Mya, age 26 and mother of two, rocking a classic pinup look. 

The essentials. The recipe actually calls for regular milk, but I had evaporated that needed to be used so I substituted. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I went with canned pumpkin when fresh is so easy to prepare.  

Dry ingredients:  

I love photographing eggs:

  

The wet ingredients: pumpkin mountain surrounded by milk-egg-oil lake.

  

Made a well and poured in the mixed wet ingredients:

  

Noticed something as I was mixing everything together... 

  

The batter isn't so much a batter as it is a dough. At this point I was wondering if I'd done something wrong and if the muffins would turn out.

  

Ready to go into the oven:  

All done--and 10 minutes sooner than the recipe said. Now I'm really worried.

  

Cooling on the baking rack:  

Lo and behold in all their muffin splendour! 

  Mya's Pioneer Pumpkin 

[My notes/changes in brackets.] 

2 cups sifted [all-purpose] flour 

1/4 cup sugar 

3 tsp baking powder 

1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp cinnamon [I used a touch more] 

1 egg 

1/2 cup milk [I used evaporated since that's what I had, and it worked fine] 

1 cup mashed fresh pumpkin [I used canned] 

1/4 cup vegetable oil 

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. 

In a separate bowl, beat egg and stir in milk, pumpkin and oil. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in pumpkin mixture all at once. Stir quickly until flour is moistened. 

Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full [mine were pretty much completely full but the dough was stiff enough that it didn't overflow]. 

Bake at 425F for 25 minutes [mine were done at 15 minutes. Keep an eye as you're baking, and check with a tester when the tops are brown. If the tester comes out clean, they're done]. 

Run knife or spatula around each muffin to loosen [I didn't need to] and serve warm. 

Makes 12 muffins  

My Verdict My worrying about how they would turn out was unfounded. This recipe produces a dense, not-too-sweet muffin that smells fantastic and tastes good although a little bland. I'd make these again, but I think I might use brown sugar instead of granulated (for more moisture) and maybe add a touch more pumpkin puree. I might also try increasing the sugar (no more than another 1/4 cup) since I have a bit of a sweet tooth. 

These are lovely slathered with apple butter, and I'm sure would be equally good with maple butter or cinnamon butter (you can make these by mixing maple syrup and/or cinnamon into room-temperature butter or margarine), or fruit preserves. 

 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins 

April: Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins

May: Zesty Zucchini Muffins 

June: Seven Grains Muffins 

July: Blueberry Muffins

August: Lemon Muffins

September: Gluten-Free Meringue Muffins

 

Photos by Whimsy Bower

[Edited to update title, links, and for formatting. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com]


No comments: