09 June 2010

Hot Muffins: June Edition (Seven Grains Muffin Recipe)

When I woke this morning to a cool, grey, rainy day my first thought was that it was a perfect baking day! Good thing too, as this month's "Seven Wives Grain" muffins didn't exactly tempt me; I'll be honest--they seemed like they would be bland and boring (and no offence to mother of four Lynda, 41, but even June's photo isn't that appealing). But I made a commitment to my Mormon Muffin project and gosh-darn-it, I'm gonna keep my word! The people will have their muffins! Ahem... 

As always, click photos to enlarge. 

 

The usual suspects:  

Dry goods:  

Wet works (there's really not that much oil, but it all collected at the top and, I think, looks neat): 

 

It turns out the twain finally met: 

 

About to go into the oven: 

 

And through the magic of the internet we already have a batch baked and ready to go! 

Edit: Forgot to mention that the tablecloth was embroidered a long time ago in a faraway place by my mom (I think she was in her teens at the time).  

Lynda's Seven Wives Grain 

[My notes/changes appear in brackets] 

3/4 cup [all purpose] flour 

1/2 cup cornmeal 

1/2 cup oats, uncooked [I used steel-cut oats] 

3 tbs wheat germ 

3 tbs brown sugar 

1 tbs baking powder 

1/2 tsp salt (optional) [I added salt] 

1 cup milk 

1/4 cup vegetable oil [I used safflower] 

1 [free-run] egg or 2 egg whites 

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. 

Mix milk, oil and egg. Stir into flour mixture until blended. 

Grease [12] muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at [preheated] 375F until golden brown.  

My verdict: These muffins surprised me. I wasn't expecting them to be particularly tasty, but they're pretty good--like corn bread (which I love) with a bit more crunch and bite, thanks to the oats. They're subtly sweet and are good buttered as an accompaniment to an egg dish or salad (or anything you would serve with corn bread or rolls). I think with butter and a bit of honey they'd be a great snack. They're also super easy to make. My only quibble: they should be called Four Wives Grain, rather than Seven (and that's being generous since flour and wheat germ are technically the same grain). Their name makes me feel doubly cheated--no seven grains, and not even seven wives. But at least they're good muffins. 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins 

April: Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins

May: Zesty Zucchini Muffins 

Photos by Whimsy Bower

[Edited to update title, links, and for formatting. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com]

No comments: