17 May 2010

Hot Muffins: May Edition (Zesty Zucchini Muffins Recipe)

It's that time again--when we all get to enjoy hot Mormon muffins! This month's muffin is Zesty Zion Zucchini, brought to you by Tami, age 35, mom of three, and pretend gardener. 

Click photos to enlarge. 

All the good stuff (the glass jar contains home-grown and -dried basil): 

 

Eggs, milk and oil (we only use free-run eggs): 

 

Sugar-- only a small amount for this savoury muffin: 

 

Parmigiano-Reggiano, ready to be sprinkled on top: 

 

Zucchini grated in about 10 seconds. I love my food processor! 

 

Mixing the batter by hand, making sure not to mix it too well (the "treenware" batter beater was a gift from my lovely friend Bella): 

Zucchini and basil are added last: 

 

Topped with cheese and ready to go into the oven: 

Freshly baked: 

 

Can't wait to get eating: 

Tami's Zesty Zion Zucchini 

[My notes/changes in brackets]

2 eggs 

3/4 cup milk 

2/3 cup vegetable oil [I used safflower] 

2 cups [all-purpose] flour 

1 tbs baking powder 

1 tsp salt 

1/4 cup [granulated] sugar 

2 cups shredded zucchini [I used one small zucchini and didn't actually measure how much I ended up with] 

4 tbs dried basil [This seemed like a lot to me so I only used half. I liked the subtle basil flavour but you could put in the entire 4 tbs and not be overwhelmed] 

6 tbs grated parmesan cheese [Splurge on parmigiano-reggiano--it's worth it] 

Beat eggs in bowl and stir in milk and oil. 

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 

Mix dry ingredients into egg mixture just until moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Hand mix in zucchini and basil. 

Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full [I always ignore this. As long as the batter isn't right to the top it should be fine]. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 tsp of cheese. 

Bake at 400F [200C] for 18 to 20 minutes.  

My verdict: I love these muffins! Unfortunately my SO didn't care for them (he's got a particular palate) but I thought the subtle sweetness went perfectly with the aromatic hint of basil and salty cheese. It also had a great texture, dense and chewy but light and airy. These are a perfect snack or "starch" alongside something like a fritatta or grilled chicken. I also think these muffins would be delicious with the addition of about 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts (added to the batter at the same time as the zucchini and basil). 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins? Check out my previous posts:

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins 

April: Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins

 

Photos by Whimsy Bower

[Edited to update title, links, and for formatting. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com]

2 comments:

gingerbodean said...

If you have too many I would be happy to help you eat them :)

Aspasia B said...

Always happy to share :)