26 April 2010

Hot Muffins: April Edition (Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins Recipe)

Between Easter (with all its accompanying treats) and the start of the garden season, I almost didn't get to April's muffin. But have no fear--it's here for you now, in all its hot muffin glory! April's muffin (Seminary Streusel) is brought to you by Charli the bunny. She's 33 and a mom of two. 

Click photos to enlarge. 

Walnut-cinnamon streusel goodness: 

 

Hand-mixed and still-floury batter. I didn't want to overdo it: 

 

Ready to go into the oven and already looking good: 

 

Freshly baked:  

Check out the melted sugary crust that's formed around the top of the muffin in the foreground. Streusel gold!  

Charli's Seminary Streusel Muffin 

[My notes/changes in brackets] 

Muffin 

1 egg 

3/4 cup milk 

1/3 cup vegetable oil 

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 

1/4 cup [granulated] sugar 

2 1/2 tsp baking powder 

1/2 tsp salt 

Streusel 

1/2 cup chopped nuts [I used walnuts] 

1/2 cup brown sugar 

1 tsp cinnamon 

2 tbs melted butter 

Grease or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. [Preheat oven to 400F.] 

[Make streusel by mixing all ingredients together thoroughly. Set aside.] 

In a bowl, slightly beat egg, adding milk and oil. Set aside. In a large bowl stir flour, [granulated] sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg mixture all at once, stirring just until moistened. Do not over beat, as batter should be lumpy. 

Spoon into muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Top with streusel. Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes.  

My verdict: I really liked this muffin. It's easy to make and tasty. At first I thought the muffin itself was a little too bland, but it's actually a nice foil to the streusel topping. It's also got a good dense, but light, texture that works well with the crunchy topping. This is a muffin I'd like to experiment with. Besides trying different nuts in the streusel, I think adding a touch of vanilla would be lovely. I'm also tempted to make a double batch of the streusel and stir half of it into the batter (and top the muffins with the other half) before baking. Even a simple cinnamon-sugar swirled into the batter could be good. 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins? Check out my previous posts:  

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins

All photos by Whimsy Bower.

[Edited for formatting, and to update title and links. Follow me on my main site: AspasiaSBissas.com]

No comments: